Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Date Night

Jeff and I had a fun date night last night...we went to All Fired Up in Winter Park and painted a piggy bank for Harrison.  It was an idea that popped into my head last week, and Jeff was totally up for it (surprised me because I thought he might be opposed to painting pottery; you know, it's not a very manly thing to do).

Anyway, we arrived at the pottery shop around 8:30 pm and picked out our project...a rather large piggy bank.  We were anxious to get the pottery painting party started...




We decided to paint the little guy blue, even though pigs are really supposed to be pink.  We set off on a sponging misson to cover that little pig with our carefully selected blue paint.  It took about four or five coats to be sure we had the whole thing covered.  Here we are just getting started with our first coat...



Much to my surprise, Jeff really got into painting this pig and was very serious about making sure the colors didn't overlap and every inch of this pig was covered.  It was adorable to see him taking so much time and effort to make this be perfect...he was focused!


We decided that the pigs inner ears needed to be a lighter shade of blue, so I set off on a misson to paint the inside of his ears...not easy!!  I am anxious to see how "jacked" up his little ears are going to be because I just don't think my hand was steady enough for that job.



By about 11:45 pm, we were finally finshed with all the painting and just had one final touch to add...Harrison's initials.  I wish were able to find a bigger stencil to use because I feel like his initials are a little small for the size of the pig, but oh well, it still looked ok.





We get to pick up the finished product next Friday, and I can hardly wait.  It will be much darker after it goes through the firing process, and we feel like it's going to look great.  I always get nervous, though, because I have an idea in my head of what I want it to look like, and 99% of the time, it doesn't look as good as I want it to.  However, no matter what, this is going to be an adorable little gift of love to our soon to be here precious baby boy!!

I'll post pictures of the end result once I get it next week.

1 comment:

Carry Grace said...

The pig is adorable, and huge! I bet it looks great!