Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Bust

Today has been one of those days where I have had to MAKE myself get out of bed. We didn't go to church this morning...shame on us! When I finally got up, I had the desire to bake, so I decided to make some butter cookies. Well...it didn't work out. I was using a recipe that my friend Liz's mom gave me, and it calls for 1 lb. of butter, but instead of writing 1 lb., she wrote "1 # butter." I had NO idea what that 1 # meant 1 lb., so I only used 1 stick of butter. I ended up wasting 1 stick of butter, 5 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 2 eggs and 1 tsp of vanilla in my attempt to make these butter cookies. I guess it should have registered with me that I was making BUTTER cookies and I'd need more than one stick of butter, but it didn't...

I also attempted to make icing...WHY...you ask?? I ask myself that very same question. By this time, I already knew the butter cookies would be nothing more than an addition to my garbage can, but I proceeded anyway. Well, I guess today was just not the day for me to be in the kitchen because the icing turned to crap too...no matter how much confectioners sugar I added, the icing would not thicken up...WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!?

Okay, so by the time I threw all of that stuff away and cleaned the kitchen, I was ready to just be lazy. I was so disappointed, too, because I wanted to make banana nut bread and cookies, but I wasted so much stuff in my attempt to make cookies and icing that I just gave up and didn't do the bread. I hope my bananas will wait until tomorrow...

Well, even though I was lazy for a little while, the day wasn't a complete waste. Jeff and I were little electricians and put up a new light over our dinner table. We're in a condo, so the one that was there was from the builder and was U-G-L-Y! This one is much better...here's a snapshot:





After working on the light for about an hour...we flipped the circuit breaker back on, and we were so pleased that sparks didn't fly...we were a little worried! LOL!

I guess my attempt and failure to make cookies earlier this morning didn't cure my desire to make something sweet, so I decided to make Thin Mints tonight. This time everything worked perfectly!! The recipe is super simple, but it's just time consuming...here's the recipe and directions:

Ingredients:

  • 20 oz. Chocolate Almond Bard (I only used 16 oz.)
  • 24 oz. Chocolate Chips (I only used 23 oz.)
  • 3 tsp. pure Peppermint Extract
  • 1 box Low Sodium Ritz Crackers (the box says "Hint of Salt" instead of Low Sodium)

Directions:
  1. Microwave almond bark for 2 minutes.
  2. Remove from microwave and add chocolate chips...do not stir.
  3. Microwave for another 2 minutes.
  4. Remove from microwave and add peppermint extract; stir until smooth.
  5. Using a spoon or fork, dip Ritz crackers into mint mixture.
  6. Lay flat on wax paper on a plate or cookie sheet.
  7. Place in freezer for a few minutes allowing chocolate mint covering to get firm.
  8. Remove from freezer and serve.

Even though the recipe and directions are really easy, I will warn you that making these cookies is a little difficult. Dipping them in the mixture takes some work, but I finally got into the groove and worked my way through 2 1/2 sleeves of Ritz crackers. I could've done more, but I was tired and already had a lot of cookies. I don't even know who is going to eat them because it's not like I made them for any special occasion...I just felt like making them.

Moving along to another thought...Jeff's work Christmas party was Friday night. We had a lot of fun...he "won" a free night's stay at the Disney hotel where the party was being held. I say he "won" it that like that because I think (no; I know) he's just very well liked by the big boss, and he just got a call asking if he wanted the room rather than him actually winning a random drawing, but we weren't complaining because we got to have a little get-a-way.

Anyway, the party was semi-formal/formal, so we got to get dressed up...I loved it! We arrived for cocktail hour around 6:30 pm and enjoyed mingling with some of his co-workers. Around 7:30 pm we started dinner, around 9:00 pm they had a drawing for some prizes, and dancing started after that. For anyone that knows me, you probably know what I'm about to say...yup, you guessed it! I danced until I was sweaty...gross, I know, but it's the truth. I absolutely LOVE to dance...I'm like that guy in Weekend at Bernie's...you know, the one that is dead, but every time music starts playing he just starts moving...that's me; when I hear music, I just start moving! LOL!

Here's a snapshot of Jeff and I before dinner and dancing:

Anyway, we had a nice weekend. This coming week is my last full week at work for the year. I only work next Monday, and then I'm off until January 5th!! I can't wait! The only bad thing about having that much time away from work is that when it's time to go back, I am completely NOT motivated when I return to work!!

Okay, well, I must go now. Wishing you all a great week!!

No comments: